Obligatory subject: Faculty of Architecture, Regular English Program
Elective subject: Erasmus Exchange Program
Ferenc Répás, DLA
The course aims to teach students to the various forms of application of fundamental compositional instruments and the vocabulary of visual expression, including forms, colors, textures, materials, and lighting effects. It also introduces innovative methodologies for architectural form creation, and visual presentation, by blending manual and digital techniques.
hybrid manual and digital anchitectural visualization
Artistic architectural perspective renderings with hybrid techniques - traditional manual drawing + digital collage
experimental form and space creation
Space & light, compositional exercises, spatial modelling - digital photo, video study.
Logotype design from name/initials, graphical layout of the semester's works, model photos, drawings, etc., digital portfolio.
schedule 2019 spring
- 05.02. Hybrid graphics - demonstration
HW: conceptual perspective pen sketches of a selected own project or the provided sample building
- 12.02. Development of the pen sketches into A3 intuitive manual perspective graphics with preferred technique
- 19.02. Development of the pen sketches into A3 intuitive manual perspective graphics with preferred technique
- 26.02. Manual-digital hybrid graphics - consultation
- 05.03. Manual-digital hybrid graphics - consultation
- 12.03. Space & Light presentation lecture
I. Hybrid graphics online submission: evolution layout (pen sketches + A3 manual drawing + Hybrid graphics), two hybrid graphics (one summer or fall and one winter ambience)
- 19.03. Spring break (no scheduled classes)
- 26.03. Studio week (no scheduled classes)
- 02.04. Space & Light modelling exercise 1 - simple interior with solid enveloping surfaces suitable for photography
- 09.04. Space & Light modelling exercise 2 - simple interior with perforated enveloping surfaces suitable for photography
- 16.04. Space & Light photography and stop motion animation session.
- 23.04. Graphical layout / typography presentation lecture
II. facade graphics project online submission: min. 12-frame gif animation, or mpeg/mov video + 1 poster of the photo sequence (A4 format jpeg image) + min. 1 abstract composition (A4 format jpeg image)
- 30.04. Graphical layout of the semester's works, digital portfolio - Logotype design from name/initials - initial concepts - consultation
- 07.05. Final consultation
13.05. (Monday, until 12pm)
24.05. (Friday, until 12pm) late submission (late fee applies)
Regular English program + Erasmus exchange students: Tuesdays 2.15 pm - 4.00 pm - teacher: Szabolcs Portschy
Class attendance is compulsory, in complience with the provisions of the Code of Studies and Exams (Article 14. Section 3.). Attendance is registered. Students unable to participate in a minimum of 70% of the classes cannot obtain credits for the course. Each projects of the semester will be evaluated after the mid-term submissions, with the possibility to correct or further develop them until the final submission. Final grading is conducted by the board of lecturers of the course and on the basis of the quality of the submitted works. Missed classes can be made up on the Tuesday late afternoon (Hungarian) sessions.
digital submission - upload folder
please click here
Make sure to upload your files into the correct subfolder (ENGLISH_Portschy Szabolcs), and follow the correct naming structure (e.g: surname_first name_project1_01.jpg). Also, try to keep your files at a justifiable size for easy opening, but without compromising the quality. For bigger sized files (e.g.: 4K video, etc.) please use an online video sharing service and upload the link only.
The coud folder also contains all downloadable background material for the projects.
Dobó, Molnár, Peity, Répás: Reality - Concept - Drawing / Architectural drawing
I. Hybrid graphics (1st to 5th class)
Presentation of the most popular vector and raster graphics techniques to be applied on the individually designed facades. Design of a corner of a building with two adjacent facades - tectonics, materials, colors, openings, design features, etc. Presentation of the accepted facade variations in the form of a 2D or 3D renderings.
II. Space & Light (6th to 10th class)
Painting with light. The "contours" of the space are revealed similarly to linear perspective, however in a paradox manner, we achieve this image with the tool of aerial perspective. Volumetric lighting effects help us create transcendent quasi-spaces.
- Tonal transition of shadows on the bounding surfaces. Experiments with scattered light, aerial perspective.
- Experiments with the effects of directed light through perforations. The role of backlighting as the most frequently applied lighting effect in architecture, historic examples.
- Experiments with transcendent and genuine effects, in-between transitions, shared characteristics. Recreation of complex lighting effects of transparent and translucent structures and materials in contemporary architecture, reflection as a design tool. The proper use of linear and area lighting contrasts.
- Lighting study, sun-path animation, using natural and artificial light sources.
- Creation of an abstract composition based one or more captured frames
III. Graphical layout (11th to 13th class)
Graphical layout of the semester's works, digital portfolio - Logotype design from name/initials
2018-01-20 Répás Ferenc DLA – course director